30 April 2017 | 15.3 °C

No Pole to Slide Down to Get to This Fire

By KizzieFK Last edited 110 months ago
No Pole to Slide Down to Get to This Fire
1802firetruck.jpg

Though we like to think of our firefighters as bulwarks of safety and sensibility, they burn down their kitchens sometimes, too. Saturday, while the Rickmansworth firefighters were off teaching fire safety lessons in South Oxley, a fire started in their dishwasher. Oh, the irony.

We didn't even know dishwashers could catch on fire — wouldn't a fire be more appropriate for an oven or a stove? — but two firefighters were able to put out the blaze, saving their station but not their cups and saucers. Maybe they can start a "take a firefighter to dinner" day, or just do like the rest of us with biohazard kitchens and get takeaway.

Image courtesy of craig1black's Flickrstream

Last Updated 18 February 2008

Dave

"We didn't even know dishwashers could catch on fire".

At my company's 'fire marshall training' last year, the trainer (an ex-firefighter) told us that dishwashers and washing machines are amongst the most common household appliances to start fires.

So don't leave the house when your pots/pans/knickers are being washed...

Francine Kizner

Thanks for letting us know! I'd heard about dryers being dangerous, but not washers/dishwashers.