There are a lot of questionable addresses to be found in the Londonist browser history, but we had good reason in sinking to a new low yesterday when we typed in www.newsoftheworld.co.uk. It seems that the tabloid helped finger a 27 year old man in connection with the July 7 bombings - after they ran an exclusive interview with him
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "We thank the News of the World for bringing this matter to our attention and material passed to police by the newspaper is now being assessed by the Metropolitan Police anti-terrorist branch." A spokesman added that the arrest had been prompted by alleged comments the man made in the newspaper.
The News of The World says it has handed its dossier on the man over to the Anti-Terrorist Squad. It's hard not to picture a Columbo type character rummaging through his crumpled overcoat pockets for that important scrap of paper.
None of this trumped the front page 'roasted rape' story which concerns some footballer or other.